This document, the Constitution of Cheerleading And Majorette Association of Nigeria (which is referred to as “CAMAN CONSTITUTION”), Recognizes the authority of The world Governing Body THE INTERNATIONAL CHEER UNION/CHEER SPORT/ Cheerleading and its discipline, as well as the local authority of sport in Nigeria which is The FEDERAL MINISTRY OF YOUTH AND SPORT and NIGERIAN OLYMPIC COMMITTEE (which is known as NOC), as well as the Constitution Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria, and the rule of law, as well as good corporate governance.
Cheerleading and majorette Association of Nigeria shall prescribe to the provisions, regulations, and stipulations contained in the CAMAN CONSTITUTION.
- International Cheer Union (ICU) statutes.
- The Constitution of Nigeria;
- Any policy /policies, regulation (s), directives and /or instructions issued from time to time, to which the Association council deems fit.
The name of the body shall be “CHEERLEADING AND MAJORETTE ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA” hereinafter also known as the “FEDERATION GOVERNING OR ASSOCIATION” by abbreviation “CAMAN” It shall be the governing body of the Cheerleading and Majorette Associations in Nigeria.
The objectives of the ASSOCIATION OR FEDERATION are as follows;
a. To be continually and independently be recognized as Federation of the Sport of Cheerleading and Majorette, as prescribed by all the codes, association and other bodies that affiliate to the Association;
b. To promote the activities and awareness of Cheerleading and Majorette in NIGERIA, Internationally.
c. To manage, direct, promote, organize and to assist the activities and disciplines associated to cheerleading and Majorette in Nigeria.
d. To perpetuate and improve cheerleading and majorette throughout Nigeria.
e. To encourage the growth of cheerleading and majorette programs and opportunities for Nigeria's youth.
f. To communicate with and support the formation of new programs and teams interested in starting up cheerleading and majorette programs, activities and events.
g. To coordinate efforts with all other Nigeria Organizations promoting cheerleading and majorette.
h. To recognize outstanding cheerleading and majorette contributions by groups, individuals and organization;
i. To provide CAMAN members, coaches, teachers and educators with tools for researching trends, technology, ideas, issues and solutions to problems associated with cheerleading and majorette.
j. To provide and create opportunities to discuss, enhance and evaluate changes in cheerleading and majorette.
k. Encourage and promote the moral standards which are enhanced through sports, experiences and sport Education.
l. To organize and coordinate National Championships, Tour and other similar events nationally and internationally, which will successfully promote the interest of Cheerleading and Majorette generally:
m. To formulate and administer the Rules and Regulations governing the affairs of the Association and its affiliated and associated bodies at Regions/Zones, CLUBS and State Level. More so Rules and Regulations Governing Cheer and Majorette Competitions at Primary or Pre-Primary Level, Secondary and Tertiary Level, which the rules and regulations shall be stated to form part of this document.
n. Develop athletes to a high performance level to enable CAMAN National team to compete successfully internationally.
a. THE AREAS OF JURISDICTION of the Association shall be the SIX REGIONS constituting the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the 36 STATES made up of clubs and the Federal Capital Territory FCT Abuja. In addition, the Association shall have jurisdiction over all affiliated and Associated Cheerleading and Majorette Athletes TOURING abroad as CHEERLEADERS, MAJORETTE.
b. CAMAN and CAMAN members (including teams) will comply with Nigeria sport eligibility and qualification rules for international competitions and international representation.
c. Association and Affiliation
i. CAMAN shall seek to co-operate with all formally constituted bodies concerned with organized sport and shall, wherever, associate with or affiliate to such bodies, nationally and internationally.
ii. CAMAN shall actively seek reciprocal association or affiliation, as may be appropriate from International, National, Regional, Clubs and State Cheerleading and Majorette Associations.
iii. All bodies affiliated to CAMAN shall be governed by the National Executive Council of the ASSOCIATION working through the REGIONAL and STATE Executives.
4. MEMBERSHIP OF CAMAN
i. Ordinary membership:
CAMAN consist of the various National, Regional, Clubs and State Cheerleading, Majorette Association and other Cheerleading and Majorette Clubs, each shall be regarded as an ordinary member upon approval by CAMAN National Executive Board and upon receipt of the requisite Association or affiliation registration.
ii. Associate Membership:
Membership of CAMAN may be granted to individuals who are not involved in training, administering cheerleading and majorettes, but who are associated with the sport. Such associate members shall not be eligible to vote.
iii. Honorary associate membership may be granted by CAMAN to individuals who in the opinion of the National Executive Board have rendered outstanding service to the Sport of Cheerleading and majorette. Such honorary associate members shall not be eligible to vote.
5. CONSTITUTIONS, RULES AND REGULATIONS OF MEMBER BODIES
a. Any Cheerleading and majorette body wishing to associate with or affiliate to CAMAN shall be prepared to ensure its constitution is designed in all substantive respects with the CAMAN Constitution, as may be amended from time to time. When applying for association or affiliation, each applicant body shall submit its constitution to the CAMAN EXECUTIVES for approval.
b. Once the constitution of the applicant body has been approved by CAMAN Executive Board in terms of; (5.a.) such constitution shall take precedence regarding the governance of the said State Cheerleading and Majorette bodies. However, in the event of such State body’s constitution being silent on any material aspect, CAMAN constitution shall govern such aspect.
c. In the event of the constitution of an association or affiliated body not been presented to CAMAN for approval/ or in material aspects conflict with the model constitution approved by CAMAN, means that CAMAN CONSTITUTION shall apply to such associated or affiliated body.
d. CAMAN COSTITUTION Shall only be amended at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the ASSOCIATION or at a special GENERAL MEETING called SPECIFICALLY for the purpose.
e. The National Executive Board of CAMAN shall advise all its affiliates of any amendments. This is to enable the National Executive Board of CAMAN to participate in decision. Such amendment to the constitution shall take immediate effect after the Annual General Meeting of CAMAN or Special General Meeting called specifically for the purpose.
f. All affiliated Association or other bodies shall endeavor to adopt the model standardized constitution available from CAMAN.
g. The RULES and REGULATION governing the conduct of participants in CHEER SPORT, competitions, disciplinary matters and procedures agreed upon from time to time by CAMAN and its members shall be deemed to form part of this constitution.
h. No State Association or State Clubs and affiliates members shall have right or authority to amend any part of CAMAN CONSTITUTION or any of the RULES and REGULATION without the prior written approval of CAMAN Executive Board.
6. THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES, THE NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COUNCIL AND STATE EXECUTIVES
a. THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
The Honorary Associated members of CAMAN as defined in (4.aiii), each appointed from respective memberships or from the ranks of associate members specified in (4.Aii), the individuals can be appointed/considered to form the BOARD OF TRUSTEE
i. COMPOSITION OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEE
The Board of Trustee of the Association shall consist 9 INDIVIDUALS, to include the National President and the Secretary General.
The board of Trustee will be headed by an appointed Chairman
ii. FUNCTION AND ACCOUNTABILITY OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEE
CAMAN Board of Trustee formulates the policy and direction of CAMAN in attaining its objectives in terms of growth, propagation and sponsorship of athletes.
CAMAN National Executive Board is accountable to CAMAN Board of Trustee, via General Council Meetings at which all policy matters shall be implemented.
b. NATIONAL EXECUTIVE BOARD
i. COMPOSITION OF THE NATIONAL EXECUTIVE BOARD
The CAMAN National Executive board consists of the following with the offices of the National council:
1. National President
2. National Vice-President
3. National Secretary
4. Assistant National Secretary
5. Financial Secretary/Treasurer
6. PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
7. National Welfare and Development Officer
8. National Director of Coaches
9. National Director of athletes and technical (National Team)
ii. Function And Accountability Of The National Executive Board
The execution and direction of CAMAN policy is carried out by the CAMAN NATIONAL EXECUTIVE BOARD through the CAMAN Regional Councils (clubs inclusive). CAMAN National Executive board is accountable to CAMAN Board of Trustees of which they are responsible for the day to day running of the association.
c. Membership of the National Council or National Executive board, Regional Council or State Executive made up of clubs shall be terminated in the event of a member failing to attend three respective council or executive meetings in succession without the respective prior written approval of council or the executive for which purpose confirmation by e-mail shall be regarded as sufficient written approval.
7. ELECTION OF THE NATIONAL EXECUTIVE BOARD MEMBERS
- The election of the National Executive board holds every 4 years. Half of The National Executive Board will be elected 2 years before, while the other half are elected after two years but will serve the same period of FOUR YEARS.
- The members of the National Executive Board shall hold office for a term of 4 (four) years, but shall not be entitled to serve for longer than 4 (four) successive terms, in the same portfolio.
- Any person elected to a position on the council must vacate their position and retire by no later than the end of the calendar year during which they attain the age of 60 (sixty) years.
a. NATIONAL EXECUTIVE BOARD
i. The National President; National Vice-President; National Secretary, Assistant National Secretary, Financial Secretary , Treasurer, public relations officer, National welfare and development, National Director of Coaches, National Director for athletes and technical shall be elected every 4 years at the Annual General Meeting of the Association. The Vice-President is not elected in the same year as the President, to ensure continuity.
ii. In case of any elected member referred to (7.A.i) becoming ineligible, resign or for any other reason becomes unable to hold office for the entire period, the position can be filled by either co-option or through Special Annual General Meeting, which shall be convened to elect new members to serve for the remaining of the unexpired period of the four years period.
iii. The secretary position will be voted for at the AGM and will be for a period of 4 years.
iv. The National President; National Vice-President; National Secretary, Assistant National Secretary, Financial Secretary, Treasurer, public relations officer, National welfare and development, National Director of Coaches, National Director: National teams/ athletes and technical: shall be elected, this will be put together by the An Election Committee.
v. The National Director-Adjudicator must be current qualified Adjudicators and affiliated to a State.
vi. The National Director-Coaches must be currently qualified coaches and affiliated to a Region
b. THE STATE COUNCIL
Each State council shall be established with the National CAMAN in terms of the structure.
1. Such STATE Executive shall be elected every 2/3 years of half of the state executive, which will be done by the clubs Practicing Cheerleading and Majorette within the State concerned. Each State Clubs or other affiliated body may nominate members of their respective council or any other appropriate individual who is resident in the State for election to the STATE EXECUTIVE.
2. Elections of the State Executive shall take place at the ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING of the STATE COUNCIL and shall follow the model of the National Executive Structure.
The State Council and its Executives are accountable to the National Executive for execution of policy and direction at the STATE LEVEL.
i. COMPOSITION OF STATE EXECUTIVES
The State Executive shall consist of the following bearers:
1. The Chairman
2. Vice- Chairman
3. State Chief Adjudicator
4. State Coaches Representative
5. Deputy State Coaches Representatives (LATER)
6. Financial Secretary
7. State treasurer
8. Public Relations Officer
9. State Welfare and Development Officer
10. State Director of athletes and technical (state team)
11. The Secretary appointed by the State Council
ii. FUNCTION AND ACCOUNTABILITY OF THE STATE COUNCIL
The State Council Executives is made of Clubs representatives, here, the policies formulated by CAMAN objectives are attained at State Level.
NOTE: Club representatives make up the states and clubs at this point are recognized
8. MEETING – NATIONAL AND STATE COUNCIL
The same broad principles applicable to meetings of the National Council and National Executive board shall also apply to meetings of the State Council and State Executive.
a. ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
The Annual General Meeting of the National Council shall be held after the National Championships. An AGM is to be held within each calendar year.
ii. ATTENDANCE AND VOTING
· The Annual General Meeting as well as any other general meeting of the Association, shall be open to all persons associated with CAMAN, but only those designated on (7.a.i) above shall be entitled to vote.
· Only nominees of members in good standing and who are citizens or permanent residents of the FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA SHALL BE ELIGIBLE FOR ELECTIONS AS A MEMBER OF CAMAN EXECUTIVE.
· Remunerated employees of CAMAN are not eligible to stand for elections onto the CAMAN EXECUTIVE.
· A candidate may be nominated for more than one office provided when elected to a particular office, the candidate’s remaining nomination, shall lapse.
· Prior to the commencement of elections, the meeting shall appoint an Electoral Officer and two other persons as scrutinizers, from those present, who are not candidates for the office, to conduct the elections should any dispute relating to an election result arise during the meeting, the Electoral Officer shall rule thereon, and their ruling shall be final and may not be challenged by any candidate, delegate or member.
· Each office bearer of the National Executive board shall have one vote.
· Any Associated National Body approved by CAMAN as defined In (7.a.i) shall have one vote
· It shall be determined by a show of hands whether on any particular motion or matter, voting shall be by show of hands or secret ballot.
· Proxy vote may be recognized or utilized
iii. NOTICE OF MEETING
Not less than 60 Days prior to any proposed Annual General Meeting or any General Council Meeting, the Secretary of the respective body or other affiliated body shall give written notice of the intended date of the meeting to the respective Council or Executives as well as, where applicable, to other affiliated bodies.
Proposal for matters to be discussed at an Annual General Meeting or General Council Meeting shall reach the Secretary not less than 14days (2weeks) prior to the meeting. The secretary shall compile Agenda and circulate the same (to the affiliated bodies) not less than 7days before the meeting.
Proposals which have been submitted for discussion and approval at the AGM can only be amended during the AGM provided the STATE Representatives present at the meeting can submit a written resolution signed by STATE CHAIRMAN allowing for such change.
iv. BUSINESS OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
a. Consider the balance sheet, final account and related documents as part of the Treasurer’s Report
b. Receive and adopt all reports including the President’s Report
c. Elect incoming office bearers as set out in (7) above.
d. Discuss points listed on the Agenda.
e. Ratify the location of CAMAN’s principal office
f. Approve /ratify the admission of CAMAN Members
g. Approve CAMAN Alliances and partnership.
h. Approve CAMAN membership dues;
i. Approve special fees and assessments
j. Approve suspension of membership;
k. Terminate the membership of a CAMAN member
l. Elect National Executive board members;
m. Remove National Executive board members;
n. Approve CAMAN Budget;
o. Approve CAMAN depositary(ies)
p. Elect offices
q. Approve Grievance procedure and Amend CAMAN Constitution
b. SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING
A Special General Council Meeting may be called by the National Executive Board, with a reminder of at least 21 days in advance notice, inclusive of prepared registered notice to all affiliated bodies, at the instance twelve States from 3 or 4 regions requesting such a meeting, addressed by the Secretary, stating the reason(s) for such request. The secretary shall convene such a meeting giving (21 days) notice to all affiliates bodies, stating clearly the purpose for which the meeting was called for.
c. MEETING PROCEDURE
The incumbent president (in his /her absence, the Vice-President) shall act as Chairman of meetings of the National Council and National Executive. The Chairman shall have, in addition to his ordinary vote, a casting vote in the event of deadlock.
ii. QUORUM (minimum number)
A quorum for all meetings shall be 60% of all representatives 1(one) in person per State together with each member of the National Council entitled to vote at such a meeting.
In the event of no quorum being present, the meeting shall stand adjourned for a period of one hour after the scheduled time of the original meeting. Should there still be no quorum, the meeting shall stand adjourned for further 21 days at the same time and place. If no quorum is then obtained, those present shall form the quorum. Notice of the adjourned meeting will be given where reasonably possible.
A quorum is established through the number of people in attendance.
iii. MINUTES OF MEETINGS
Proper and accurate minutes of the meetings shall be given and circulated within 21days of such meeting by email.
iv. MEETING PROCEDURE
All meetings shall be governed by established meeting procedure and, where the rules are silent, in accordance with common law.
d. EXECUTIVE MEETINGS
National Executive board meetings shall be held at least 3 times in a year, it is recorded that telephone meetings may be conducted at the instance of the President.
9. MEMBERSHIP AND AFFILIATION FEES
National, States, Clubs and other affiliation fees shall be determined annually at the Annual General Meeting.
10. FINANCE AND RECORD KEEPING
In addition to revenue generated from the region, State membership fees or other affiliation fees, the National Executive shall have the authority to actively seek additional funding as may be required to conduct the affairs of the Association.
1. At the end of each year, the council shall prepare and approve a budget for each Board for ensuring year setting out all anticipated expenditure and realistic revenue sources.
2. The Financial secretary shall prepare the following, 30days prior to CAMAN AGM. An Audited balance sheet and financial statement for the preceding year submitted to CAMAN prior to the AGM.
3. The Financial year of CAMAN will be from August 1st – July 31st of each year.
c. ACCOUNTS AND OTHER RECORDS
1. An audited balance sheet and financial statement reflecting the affairs of CAMAN in the preceding year shall be submitted at each AGM.
2. The financial statement and balance sheets of the REGIONAL COUNCIL referred to in 10.b (2) shall be incorporated, without consolidation, into the annual account of CAMAN as a supplement.
3. Balance sheet and financial statement covering the National Championship shall be prepared by the body concerned and submitted to CAMAN Board within 40days after the end of the competition.
4. The audited financial statement with CAMAN each year, each STATE COUNCIL shall submit a State Annual Report 30days prior to the CAMAN AGM. State reports shall incorporate the report respectively of the STATE CHAIRMAN, STATE TREASURER, STATE ADJUDICATORS representative, the State Coaches Representative and the State Development Officer.
These reports shall form part of the report of the NATIONAL PRESIDENT
11. RULES AND REGULATIONS
Rules and Regulations formulated to govern the day to day organization and management of the Association shall be deemed to form an integral part of the CAMAN CONSTITUTION and have the same binding effect. Any rule contemplated in this clause must constitutionally sound and conform to acceptable business morals and practice. Any rule formulated in terms of the clause shall be circulated and then tabled for ratification at the next AGM.
12. LEGAL STATUS
a. The ASSOCIATION shall have the full status of a legal personality. The president on authorization of the NATIONAL EXECUTIVE BOARD shall sign all necessary documents and take such steps as may be considered necessary.
b. Only the BOARD OF TRUSTEE shall, by means of a properly minuted resolution have the right to commit or bind the ASSOCIATION
13. COLOURS AND INSIGNIA
a. CAMAN shall be entitled to award its own distinctive colors to associate CHEERLEADING, and MAJORETTE COACHES, Adjudicators and Administrators according to such criteria as may be decided from time to time by the National Executive and ratified by the BOARD OF TRUSTEE.
b. CAMAN shall be entitled to award:
i) Individual members of associated or affiliated CHEERLEADING, and MAJORETTE TEAMS.
ii) Coaches of Associated or affiliated teams
iii) Affiliated Adjudicators
iv) Office bearers of associated or affiliated bodies
v) Associate members of CAMAN: the sale of such blazers, badges, ties, jewelry or other official insignia as may be decided from time to time.
NOTE: Items sold shall be clearly and distinctively different from the colors awarded in terms of (13.a) so as to ensure there can be no confusion about the status of the wearer.
14. AMENDMENT OF THE CONSTITUTION
Constitutions can be made possible by a properly constituted ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OR SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING and shall be carried by a TWO –THIRD MAJORITY of the meeting
All trophies purchased or donated to the ASSOCIATION for the use at the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP shall remain the property of the ASSOCIATION.
There shall be an anthem known as THE CAMAN ANTHEM with words depicting cheer sport. The anthem is to be utilized at all NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS (AND also NIGERIA ANTHEM).
Flags shall be used at all competitions and shall depict the CAMAN Logo and Nigeria Flag.
CAMAN Logo is to be used on all CAMAN documentation and correspondence, both social websites and in All CAMAN PLATTFORMS.
19. DISSOLUTION OF CAMAN
a. CAMAN may only be dissolved at an ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING or Special General Meeting.
b. CAMAN will only be dissolved if a two – third majority vote of the members present in person approves such dissolution.
c. In the process of dissolution of CAMAN, all debts and liabilities should have been satisfied to the balance of the property or assets will be transferred to another institution that has similar objectives to those of CAMAN. There will be no distribution of any kind to any member or Office Bearer of CAMAN.
Associate members shall be:
1. University sport
NUGA: NIGERIA UNIVERSITY GAMES ASSOCIATION;
Anyone who want to affiliate to CAMAN may apply to CAMAN president of the National Executive, admitting to adhere to the constitution of CAMAN, a complete membership list and any other information required by the National Executive by which its application shall be submitted with a recommendation to the next Annual General Meeting of CAMAN.
2. Secondary or college school sports can be an Associate Member
3. Primary or Private School Game or Sport etc
APPENDIX C TO CHAPTER 1
DECLARATION OF INTEREST/CONFLICT OF INTERESTS